Subject: Re: NFS v2 problems after upgrading to NetBSD-1.5.2
To: Christos Zoulas <christos@zoulas.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 02/20/2003 19:02:38
On Thu, 20 Feb 2003, Christos Zoulas wrote:

> In article <200302202133.h1KLXDH10105@carolina.rr.com>,
> VaX#n8 <vax@carolina.rr.com> wrote:
>
> This is not strictly an upgrade :-) Did you update both the userland
> and the kernel, and the binary that you are running has been compiled
> under 1.5.2?
>
> While there is a strict order between:
>
>     1.4[A-Z] < 1.5[A-Z] == true
> and
>     1.4{,.[0-9]} < 1.5{,.[0-9]} == true
>
> there is no such ordering defined for:
>
>     1.4{,.[0-9]} < 1.5[A-Z] ???
> or
>     1.4[A-Z] < 1.5{,.[0-9]} ???

Are you sure about that last one? ;-) ;-)

> >I recently upgraded from NetBSD-1.4E to NetBSD-1.5.2 and CFS, Matt Blaze's
> >crypting filesystem, stopped working.  I cannot successfully perform this
> >operation:
> >mount_nfs -s -i -2 -U localhost:/mnt/null /mnt/crypt
> >Cannot MNT RPC: RPC: Program not registered.

As the home page for CFS

    http://www.crypto.com/software/

explains that that software is nearly nine years old and unsupported,
your best bet is probably to either

1) boot from a 1.4[E-Z]*-ish stand-alone system that supports NFS
(i.e.  a floppy install kernel), and copy the files to another file
system.

or

2) Restore from backups, and then copy the files off.

To get back on topic (which is, discussion about programs included
with NetBSD), take a look at:

    http://www.netbsd.org/Changes/#cgd

which links to the man pages. CGD is presently only in -current,
however.

Frederick