Subject: Re: CVS commit: basesrc/etc
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 02/20/2003 01:05:09
> 1.  Install everything but deactivate what we don't want immediately; or
> 2.  Determine what we don't want at install time and don't install it.

> #2 is better for security reasons, according to some.

And if any of the programs not installed are set-id (or otherwise
privileged), there are rational grounds for such a stance.

Otherwise, the only problem I see with 1 is having tons o' stuff
sitting around occupying disk blocks and inodes even though it's never
used.

> I've heard it said that if you want a good UI design, go find a
> gamer.  They're not programmers, but in league with a programmer,
> they can help provide a good viewpoint for a design.

Actually, there are a few gamers who are programmers.  I'm in awe when
I think of some of the games people managed to build in as little as 8
to 20 KB of ROM and maybe one or two KB of RAM.  I have ROM images from
one that just totally blows me away; someday I really want to dig
through them and really understand them....

> The trick is finding a gamer who knows how to use a CLI, as serial
> console installs are not likely to vanish anytime soon.

(At least not for NetBSD!)  Well, do I count?  I've certainly wasted
enough time gameplaying, and I'm a firm believer that "menus belong in
restaurants".... :-)

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign