Subject: Re: CVS commit: basesrc/etc
To: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
From: Roland Dowdeswell <elric@imrryr.org>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 02/19/2003 12:57:07
Jason R Thorpe wrote:

>And why do I need a web server installed *at all* on my workstation?
>
>The same argument applies for a full-blown MTA... any "real" mail server
>could build sendmail or postfix or qmail or exim from pkgsrc.

The problem is that you can make this argument for almost anything.
What about ftpd?  Why do I need that on my workstation?  What about
telnetd?  What about named?  I don't use dhcpd on any of my NetBSD
machines and when I do, I generally only use on one machine per
subnet.  I don't use YP, so why does the base distribution include
rpc.yppasswdd?  Why shouldn't we make nfsd into a pkg, since most
people only run one NFS server and why should their workstations
have it?  Why ship power management utils considering that most
NetBSD machines aren't laptops?  Etc, etc.

Now all that said, I run a full-blown MTA on more of my machines
than any of the examples that I gave in the above paragraph.

--
    Roland Dowdeswell                      http://www.Imrryr.ORG/~elric/