Subject: Re: CVS commit: basesrc/etc
To: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
From: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 02/19/2003 12:32:13
> > > So is the web.  Which web server should we ship in the base?
> >
> > We should ship with bozo-httpd in base, in my opinion. Yes, really. It
> > would be very nice to have one available by default without having to
> > fiddle with pkgsrc and bozo-httpd does what we want -- simple small
> > httpd without many security gaps possible. "Real" sites can build
> > Apache of course.
>
>And why do I need a web server installed *at all* on my workstation?

<sarky>
because microsoft does it, so it must be good.  :)
</sarky>

>The same argument applies for a full-blown MTA... any "real" mail server
>could build sendmail or postfix or qmail or exim from pkgsrc.

otoh, it's nice to have a mta that can at least do *local* delivery
out of the box.  otherwise...where will all your nightly reports go
until you install and configure an mta.  /dev/null i expect...

for the casual user, it's nice not to have to figure out that i need
to install and configure an mta for that...

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|
werdna@squooshy.com       * "information is power -- share the wealth."