Subject: Re: /home and /usr/local
To: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@netbsd.org>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 02/19/2003 10:21:22
On Tue, Feb 18, 2003 at 05:56:01PM -0500, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
  | I'm eliding /usr/local from this discussion -- we can talk about that
  | separately.
  |
  | Luke Mewburn <lukem@netbsd.org> writes:
  | > Using a mount point for /home, a symlink to another directory, or any
  | > other method still does not prevent the extraction/installation from:
  | >
  | >     *	Changing the ownership and permissions of /home[...]
  | > 	to what the default NetBSD installation has.
  |
  | Changing the permissions of /home is likely to be completely harmless
  | -- it is hard to imagine anyone would want permissions OTHER than root
  | owned, 755. Could anyone come up with a specific instance of this
  | having been a problem for them, especially in the case where they are
  | using /home as an NFS mount point?

From:
	http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-userlevel/2003/02/18/0001.html

    ``
	There are problems too when these locations are amd toplevel
	mount-points, which are read-only. This makes, for instance, the
	installworld target fail.
    ''

This is also related to pax (as per the symlinks issue).

When pax is fixed (in a sane way) to do the right thing with symlinks
to directories, we can then reconsider the issue of having /home back
in the base distribution, taking into account the other concerns raised.