Subject: Re: /home and /usr/local
To: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@netbsd.org>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 02/19/2003 09:43:59
On Tue, Feb 18, 2003 at 05:28:54PM -0500, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
  | Luke Mewburn <lukem@netbsd.org> writes:
  | > You still do not address the other concern raised:
  | >
  | > 	[...] a NetBSD install creating and/or changing the ownership and
  | > 	permission of these directories may not be desired.
  | >
  | > (A mount point does not solve this issue.)
  |
  | I don't understand the concern.
  |
  | You said the problem might be "/home is NFS mounted" -- well, if /home
  | is NFS mounted, creating the directory causes no harm -- you need such
  | a directory as a mount point ANYWAY. I don't understand your "(A mount
  | point...)" comment.

[I thought this was clear in my comment, and in the context of the
rest of the /home and the previous /usr/local discussions.  Obviously not.]

Using a mount point for /home, a symlink to another directory, or any
other method still does not prevent the extraction/installation from:

    *	Changing the ownership and permissions of /home or /usr/local
	to what the default NetBSD installation has.  (Or any other
	locally maintained and likely to be shared directories which
	are generally considered not specific to the operating-system.)

    *	Creating a missing /home, /usr/local, or any children of /usr/local.

Luke.