Subject: Re: /home and /usr/local
To: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@netbsd.org>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 02/19/2003 09:08:35
On Tue, Feb 18, 2003 at 11:09:41AM -0500, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
  | > There are a variety of issues with having /home and /usr/local
  | > in the "base" set in NetBSD, including:
  | >
  | >     *	Those directories may often be (NFS) shared in a heterogenous
  | >		network, and a NetBSD installcreating and/or changing the
  | >		ownership and permission of these directories may not be
  | >		desired.
  |
  | You need a mount point -- having /home as a mount point or as a real
  | directory is the same thing. There is no harm in having it.

You still do not address the other concern raised:

	[...] a NetBSD install creating and/or changing the ownership and
	permission of these directories may not be desired.

(A mount point does not solve this issue.)

  | >     *	If these are symbolic links to other locations, pax will unlink
  | > 	the symlink and replace the path with an empty directory.
  |
  | However, that's a general problem with our install.

I, too, would like our install & extraction mechanism was changed
so that it did not have the adverse behaviour with locally created
symlinks to directories.  Solving that does not address the other
concerns.