Subject: Re: /home and /usr/local
To: Luke Mewburn <lukem@netbsd.org>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 02/18/2003 17:56:01
I'm eliding /usr/local from this discussion -- we can talk about that
separately.

Luke Mewburn <lukem@netbsd.org> writes:
> Using a mount point for /home, a symlink to another directory, or any
> other method still does not prevent the extraction/installation from:
>
>     *	Changing the ownership and permissions of /home[...]
> 	to what the default NetBSD installation has.

Changing the permissions of /home is likely to be completely harmless
-- it is hard to imagine anyone would want permissions OTHER than root
owned, 755. Could anyone come up with a specific instance of this
having been a problem for them, especially in the case where they are
using /home as an NFS mount point?

>     *	Creating a missing /home,[...]

If you don't have a /home, creating an empty directory you don't use
is fairly harmless, just as even if you don't use vi, having vi in
/usr/bin/vi is fairly harmless.

I must say that these points (i.e. the symlink point (which is a more
general bug), the point that you might want permissions other than
root 755 on /home, and the notion that you might be upset by having an
empty/unused /home on your system) do not feel very persuasive to me.

--
Perry E. Metzger		perry@piermont.com