Subject: Re: long usernames
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Christos Zoulas <christos@zoulas.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 02/17/2003 15:10:01
In article <200302152300.h1FN0D923457@toad.rmkhome.com>,
Rick Kelly <rmk@rmkhome.com> wrote:
>Greywolf said:
>
>>We have them, but who(1) still uses utmp, and last(1) still uses wtmp.

There was a static variable in who that made it look like it was
not consulting utmpx (because it truncated long host names). And
yes, last(1) had not been converted, but now it is.

>Does anything use utmpx or wtmpx?

Everything in our userland (except last(1)).

Actually to be more precise, everything writes and consults both utmp and
utmpx, preferring utmpx entries for display and augmenting them with utmp
entries in case there is a utmp entry without a corresponding utmpx entry.
(This can happen if a 3rd party program or an old binary knows only about
utmp).

christos