Subject: Re: CVS commit: basesrc/etc
To: None <rmk@rmkhome.com>
From: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 02/16/2003 22:25:53
On Sun, Feb 16, 2003 at 03:10:51PM -0700, Rick Kelly wrote:

 > After looking at the source for mini_sendmail, all I can ask is how
 > does this enhance NetBSD? IT's not really an MTA, as it can't receive
 > mail from the outside. NetBSD without a real MTA is useless for email.

It enhances NetBSD because NetBSD will no longer have to ship *at least*
2 MTAs ... we currently ship 2 because one or the other doesn't fit everyone's
needs, and it so happens that people update to yet another MTA often anyway.

Clearly the right thing is to push the problem out to pkgsrc.  I would
assert that the vast majority of NetBSD installations do not need to
accept mail from the outside world, they only need to be able to send
mail, usually through a centralized mail server on a network.  That
centralized mail server can get the full-blown MTA.

 > And how does removing directories like /usr/local and /home enhance
 > NetBSD?

It certainly enhances it for people who's environments get clobbered by
a "make build".