Subject: Re: Proposals on Authentication
To: None <tech-userlevel@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Roland Dowdeswell <elric@imrryr.org>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 02/12/2003 17:56:44
Roland Dowdeswell wrote:

>	2.   ensure that the interface is ABI compatible with
>	     LinuxPAM,

It has come to my attention that this statement that I made can be
[and has been] interpreted in many ways, so let me clarify it.

I am not talking about ABI compat as in you can take modules from
a running Linux system.  I am talking about ABI compat as in the
interfaces that the library exports to LinuxPAM modules as built
on NetBSD by a NetBSD toolchain such as those built by the LinuxPAM
pkg (pkgsrc/security/PAM).  The goal being that if one installs
the LinuxPAM package then components of the base system (such as
login(1), xdm(1) and sshd(8)) will just start using without needing
to be recompiled.

Alternate PAM implementations could still be used if one is willing
to recompile the PAM using components of basesrc after it has been
installed.

Hope that clears up my statement a bit, or at least doesn't obsfucate
it much.

--
    Roland Dowdeswell                      http://www.Imrryr.ORG/~elric/