Subject: Re: improvements to mknod(8)
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 02/07/2003 15:22:28
> Of course, if running MAKEDEV on a server -- which, btw, IMO is
> actually fairly useful -- you still need to be careful of a few
> things:

> * you need to make sure your UIDs and GIDs are the same as they would
>   be on the client, and

> * you need to make sure the server's device node format is the same.
>   There are a lot of divergences in this area.

For the former, how big a deal is this?

Looking at the rather old MAKEDEV I have lying around, I see:

chmod
- uucp/wheel (two)
- root/wheel (nine)
- root/kmem (one)

chgrp
- kmem (five)
- operator (eight)
- wheel (one)

These are all standard names distributed with the system, names for
which it is arguably safe to hardwire numeric values.

Just pointing out the possibility.

As for the latter, just use NFSv3, then the issue goes away. :-)

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign