Subject: Re: CVS commit: basesrc/etc
To: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
From: Gregory McGarry <g.mcgarry@ieee.org>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 02/06/2003 11:37:21
Way back on October 17, Jason R Thorpe commented:

> That said, I am beginning to think that the appropriate solution would
> be for NetBSD to provide no default mailer except for possibly a dead-
> simple one which provided for basic local delivery and simple forwarding
> to a remote host (e.g. most of my NetBSD machines are configured to simply
> send all mail to my mail server ... and using either sendmail *or* postfix
> is a little heavy-handed for that).

I agree with this comment.  I've only ever configured one mail server
and usually just forward mail from all machines onto the central
server.

Since October I have been running a hacked version of mini_sendmail
1.3.1.  It is written by Jef Poskanzer with a BSD licence.  It's
primarily intended to run in a chroot'ed environment to feed mail back
into the same machine.  But it works well as a send-only MTA.  It has
IP6 support and its only deficiency is that it doesn't handle local
mail.

mini_sendmail could serve as the base for a light-weight, forward-only
MTA which would allow sendmail, postfix, etc to be pushed into pkgsrc.

	-- Gregory McGarry <g.mcgarry@ieee.org>