Subject: locales
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Gregory McGarry <g.mcgarry@ieee.org>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 02/06/2003 11:19:04
The locale facilities and the documentation are confusing.  In
particular, we have two facilities available via NLS in
/usr/share/nls/* and i18n (citrus project) in /usr/share/locale/*.

It would be great if i18n would replace libc NLS, à la glibc.

It's not clear from the documentation whether catgets(3) or gettext(3)
is the preferred interface for internationalising software.

How are gettext-style catalogues generated?  OK, just found that
msgfmt doesn't have a man page.  Next question: Wasn't someone working
on non-GNU gettext utilities?

And it seems that since the merge of the citrus implementation the
following FAQ entry is not relevent.  Correct?

http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/misc/index.html#locales

I'm only asking so that the man pages can be improved.  And so I can
add locale support to my favourite shell.

	-- Gregory McGarry <g.mcgarry@ieee.org>