Subject: Re: a small smarthost mailer? (was: CVS commit: basesrc/etc)
To: Dave <dgriffi@cs.csubak.edu>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 02/05/2003 20:45:58
[ On Wednesday, February 5, 2003 at 14:50:20 (-0800), Dave wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: CVS commit: basesrc/etc
>
> FWIW, I prefer Exim.  The CS department here always used Sendmail until I
> showed the professor in charge of the MX a complete Exim config file
> whereupon he danced about the room with joy (I'm not joking).

Config file?  Who needs a config file?  Smail doesn't!  ;-)

(well, for routing to a smarthost Smail would need a -D's in CFLAGS to
set the smart host's name and disable the various router definitions, as
otherwise it does need a one-line config file and a very short one-line
routers file :-)

It's pretty easy to turn off all support for in-bound SMTP handling and
DNS processing in Smail too (which reduces its size considerably).

Both Exim and Smail, like sendmail too, do need a cron job to keep an
eye on the mail queue as otherwise messages could end up there and never
go anywhere.

Of course both Exim and Smail are using a GPL copyright license....

--
								Greg A. Woods