Subject: Re: CVS commit: basesrc/etc
To: Gregory McGarry <g.mcgarry@ieee.org>
From: Dave <dgriffi@cs.csubak.edu>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 02/05/2003 14:50:20
On Thu, 6 Feb 2003, Gregory McGarry wrote:

> Way back on October 17, Jason R Thorpe commented:
>
> > That said, I am beginning to think that the appropriate solution would
> > be for NetBSD to provide no default mailer except for possibly a dead-
> > simple one which provided for basic local delivery and simple forwarding
> > to a remote host (e.g. most of my NetBSD machines are configured to simply
> > send all mail to my mail server ... and using either sendmail *or* postfix
> > is a little heavy-handed for that).
>
> I agree with this comment.  I've only ever configured one mail server
> and usually just forward mail from all machines onto the central
> server.
>
> Since October I have been running a hacked version of mini_sendmail
> 1.3.1.  It is written by Jef Poskanzer with a BSD licence.  It's
> primarily intended to run in a chroot'ed environment to feed mail back
> into the same machine.  But it works well as a send-only MTA.  It has
> IP6 support and its only deficiency is that it doesn't handle local
> mail.
>
> mini_sendmail could serve as the base for a light-weight, forward-only
> MTA which would allow sendmail, postfix, etc to be pushed into pkgsrc.

How about starting a new mail daemon project, the aim being to have
something only smart enough to forward mail?

FWIW, I prefer Exim.  The CS department here always used Sendmail until I
showed the professor in charge of the MX a complete Exim config file
whereupon he danced about the room with joy (I'm not joking).

--
David Griffith
dgriffi@cs.csubak.edu