Subject: Re: Removing GNU tar and GNU cpio from src?
To: None <tech-userlevel@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Xavier HUMBERT <>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 01/26/2003 23:53:45
Greg :

>     Obviously a lot more
>     could be done to better verify the integrity of the backup copy, but
>     this one check is so obvious and simple and low-cost that not doing it,
>     at least by default, is a bug, pure and simple

So, please tell me why was the -W --verify flag removed, to begin with ?

Second, do you mean people who did their backups since the early Unix
years with tar (which had not been hijackd by gnu, at those times)
including amanda developers, are fools ?

Just curious....

NB : my "real life" software backup, which costs a lots of bucks,
produces *every night* at *ton* of errors. Open files on Windows,
mailboxes chaged between write and verify,etc. Thanks God, he does not
give up for that reason...