Subject: Re: ksh bugs and behaviour questions
To: NetBSD Userlevel Technical Discussion List <tech-userlevel@NetBSD.ORG>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 01/25/2003 23:03:36
> Lots of people still run slower machines, and there are lots of
> fairly intensive shell scripts in NetBSD, such as /etc/rc et al.

I have a 'nice little' script I use to process the METALOG file
from an UPDATE build and copy anything new into the main system.
I might look at why (or even how) it manages >30000 system calls
a second a one point.

Also noticable is that the system sometime stops processing the
script for a few seconds.

However that script is certainly limited by directory searches
and file i/o, not by the number of execs/second.
(the hard part is working out which file in / you need to link the
file in your hand to - you only know it is linked because of the
inode refernce count in $DEST)

It also won't run under ksh due to a memory leak.

oh - re-running those tests took 20 second - cut and paste!

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk