Subject: Re: ksh bugs and behaviour questions
To: Matthias Buelow <mkb@mukappabeta.de>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 01/25/2003 17:41:29
[ On Saturday, January 25, 2003 at 23:20:27 (+0100), Matthias Buelow wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: ksh bugs and behaviour questions
>
> It is very hard for me to believe what I'm seeing here, I can only
> describe it as "bizarre"; that people are actually wasting time on
> discussing how to micro-optimize the shell interpreter.

Lots of people still run slower machines, and there are lots of
fairly intensive shell scripts in NetBSD, such as /etc/rc et al.

Try booting a 4MB 386/16MHz to full multi-user mode some day!  ;-)

> As if it were
> of any value if one shell executes ten thousand commands a second faster
> than the other; it is even of no benchmark value, since you would have
> to measure typical script workloads and not a simple loop

You have to start somewhere and when some simple loop like this
identifies really interesting differences in performance with different
interpreter implementations, then you may already have made a really
good start!

--
								Greg A. Woods