Subject: Re: problems with setting user limits
To: Lubomir Sedlacik <>
From: Felix Zaslavskiy <>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 01/24/2003 20:01:05
----- Original Message -----
From: "Lubomir Sedlacik" <>
To: "Felix Zaslavskiy" <>
Cc: <>
Sent: Friday, January 24, 2003 6:17 AM
Subject: Re: problems with setting user limits

On Fri, Jan 24, 2003 at 02:15:43AM -0500, Felix Zaslavskiy wrote:
> I created login.conf file
> -- login.conf --
> #default user settings
> default:\
>         :coredumpsize#32768:\
>         :maxproc#32:\
>         :memoryuse#8192:\
>         :stacksize#1024:\
>         :memorylocked#4096:\
>         :datasize#131072:\
>         :filesize#32768:
> ...
> Clearly none of the settings in login.conf are applied.  What did i
> miss ????

Sedlacik wrote:
login.conf(5) says:

 classname|Description entry:\

i really wonder where did you get that # from..

I resolved my problem.  It turns out I was guilty of trying to fix things at
When i was using the = instead of # I was getting an error in my log such as
 "default: setting resource limit stacksize: Invalid argument"
Since it was 2am i didnt realy think much about it except that my syntax
must be wrong.
As getcap(3) states the '#' is usualy used to denote a numeric type of value
while '=' is used for strings.
Later i realized that the error was because before i had
stacksize=1024  <-- that is in bytes according to login.conf(5) surely i
ment 1MB.
Changing it to
stacksize=1024k is the correct way to do it but the 'k' makes it not the
numeric type as far as getcap functions are concerned.
But doing something like this:
stacksize#1024k  <-- will not give error but will but just ignore the
capability , perhapse this is implementation flaw i dont know