Subject: Re: pkg/16226 (new patch for review)
To: Julio Merino <>
From: Greg A. Woods <>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 01/18/2003 20:54:58
[ On Saturday, January 18, 2003 at 20:13:20 (+0100), Julio Merino wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: pkg/16226 (new patch for review)
> On 18 Jan 2003 13:46:14 -0500
> Christopher Richards <richards+netbsd@CS.Princeton.EDU> wrote:
> >
> > # Print the working directory, etc. in the prompt

> Do you expect newcomers to know to write all this stuff?

No, not really -- that's what examples files, FAQs, Google, and the like
are for....

> linux'ers will
> know how bash works and will try that.

Too bad for them.  (though I really wouldn't want to wish to inflict
horrors of "bash" on anyone :-)

> Just to say that implementing it
> inside sh will be faster than calling a shell-script function.

No, not really -- doing it as a shell function means it's only done once
per "cd" command, not every time a prompt is printed.

Note also that the one time setting also happens at a time when a user
can easily tolerate a tiny delay -- and may not even notice it!

								Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098;            <>;           <>