Subject: Re: pkg/16226 (new patch for review)
To: Julio Merino <jmmv@menta.net>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 01/18/2003 20:09:02
On Sat, Jan 18, 2003 at 11:51:46AM +0100, Julio Merino wrote:
> Hello,
>
> here is a new patch to do the prompt expansion thing I submitted some time
> ago. It seems better to me (now memory is only allocated once, and realloc's
> are avoided when possible).

What you should have done it to read the posix spec, see that the
shell should do parameter expansion on its prompt and raise a bug
saying that it didn't, and so wasn't posix conformant :-)

After:
$ PS1='$PWD ! $ '
/oldroot/usr/bsd-current/obj/bin/sh 3 $
etc...

/bin/sh is much more likely to move in the direction of ksh that
bash since the posix spec mainly contains ksh features on top of
the AT&T bourne shell.

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk