Subject: Re: Removing GNU tar and GNU cpio from src?
To: None <wulf@ping.net.au>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 01/18/2003 13:05:43
On Sat, 18 Jan 2003 wulf@ping.net.au wrote:

> > This is basically just a workaround for Jakarta tar files that are
> > corrupt, but that older versions of gnu and Solaris tar extract without
> > complaint.
>
> Stupid question: Can't we just re-package these archieves and hence overcome
> this problem?

Not a stupid question at all; it had never even ocurred to me. Yes,
come to think of it, I guess we could. It's a kludge, and has some
disadvantages (more work for package maintainers; not being able
to check the signature on the original source; not being able to
download from the Jakarta project's mirrors), but I don't really see any
showstoppers.

So does this mean you're volunteering to do it? :-)

cjs