Subject: Re: Removing GNU tar and GNU cpio from src?
To: Christos Zoulas <christos@zoulas.com>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 01/18/2003 10:16:38
On Fri, 17 Jan 2003, Christos Zoulas wrote:

> | I would be happy if pax complained but managed to deal with the problem.
> | Older versions of gnu tar don't even complain.
>
> It deals with the problem (i.e. it untars as many files as gnu tar does).
> It just exits with 1. And no, I am not going to `fix' it to exit with 0,
> on broken tar files.

Oh, does it? Well that's a much better situation than I thought. If
that's the case, maybe we just need to add some sort of flag to the
package system that says, "pax will claim failure to extract" so that
the packages for these Apache things will not stay broken. (Or a flag
that says "use gnu tar.")

cjs