Subject: Re: shouldn't installboot install /boot.amiga?
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>
From: Aymeric Vincent <Aymeric.Vincent@labri.fr>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 01/08/2003 23:36:06
        Hi Hubert,

[ posted to tech-userlevel too, to gather other opinions ]

Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de> writes:

> On Wed, 8 Jan 2003, Ignatios Souvatzis wrote:
> > > My point is, installboot(8) should take care to install that file.
> > Ah, sorry. need sleep. Will think about where to do it tomorrow.
>
> I think the i386 port's installboot(8) cares to setup /boot, so should the
> amiga-port do. (Sorry, no diff ;)

I'm not sure this is a good idea because the generic installboot(8)
doesn't take care of installing the second stage bootblock (as seen
from its manpage).

I wouldn't like installboot(8) to erase an existing /boot.amiga file
without any apparent reason. (many people may not suspect that running
installboot will actually touch the contents of the root filesystem)

However, maybe we could provide /boot.amiga in the base tarball?
>From a quick glance in distrib/sets/lists/base/md.*,
mipsco, pmax and vax do that.

 Aymeric