Subject: Re: Larger rm Change
To: Jason R. Fink <>
From: Andrew Brown <>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 01/07/2003 12:26:52
>THe first rm change I sent out was not quite right. In
>this one I have pulled in all of the FreeBSD code.
>The only part I do not like about this *version*
>is the IMMUTABLE tests. They seem a bit on the long

i dunno about "long", but at a quick glance it seems that they remove
the user immutable and append flags, if set (and if running as root)
so that the rm will have a greater likelihood of succeeding.

this seems to me to violate the principle of least surprise.

personally, i *expect* those flags to make rm fail.  in the case that
they do so, rm prints an error, and then i can decide if i really
meant to remove that file (and remove the flags and try again if i
really really meant to remove the file).