Subject: Re: moving g77 to the ports system
To: Igor Sobrado <sobrado@string1.ciencias.uniovi.es>
From: Alistair Crooks <agc@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 01/04/2003 17:15:26
On Thu, Jan 02, 2003 at 03:44:10PM +0100, Igor Sobrado wrote:
> Same about new compilers provided in the GCC suite, that are being
> provided in the latest releases of the Compiler Collection.  Those
> compilers (e.g. java) can be provided too as ports.

Just a quibble about terminology - NetBSD has a packages collection,
and building packages from source involves pkgsrc.  In NetBSD, a port
is an implementation of NetBSD for a specific architecture.

As far as dividing up parts of the base system, and using the
packaging utilities to manage them, that's called system packages, and
was implemented some time ago, although we have yet to release a
version of NetBSD with system packages enabled.

Regards,
Alistair