Subject: Re: ksh bugs and behaviour questions
To: Matthias Buelow <mkb@mukappabeta.de>
From: Thomas Klausner <wiz@danbala.ifoer.tuwien.ac.at>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 12/11/2002 21:40:33
On Mon, Dec 09, 2002 at 09:22:03PM +0100, Matthias Buelow wrote:
> Thomas Klausner wrote:
>
> >. ctrl-l on empty line does not clear(1)
> >  bash does this, and I prefer it to having to type 'clear' :)
>
> Bear in mind that pdksh is a ksh clone, it doesn't attempt to imitate
> bash (I think it also precedes bash by a couple of years).

I understand that, I was mostly noting a list of differences, in particular
to find out which of them should be classified as bugs. This one obviously
doesn't :)

> >. completion does not work on incomplete variables ($HO<TAB>) or user names
> >  (~wi<TAB>)
>
> Ksh93 expands it that way you describe in vi-mode (with the ESC-\
> completion key sequence); curiously it seems to do a different thing in
> emacs mode (with ESC-ESC, or TAB): there it replaces $VAR with its
> contents, if the variable is fully specified; it does not attempt to
> expand the variable name, like in vi-mode, though.

So this one is one :)

> I recommend using the real ksh, if memory permits (it uses a lot more
> memory than pdksh), where the bugs don't exist, and some of the other
> things that ail you can be tweaked with a little programming (KEYBD
> traps etc.)

Another goal is to have a shell that's in the base system.
After all, why do we have three shells in the base system
if everyone is using a packaged one instead?

Thanks for the comments,
 Thomas

--
Thomas Klausner - wiz@danbala.ifoer.tuwien.ac.at
What is wanted is not the will to believe, but the will to find