Subject: Re: bin/16834
To: Ignatios Souvatzis <is@netbsd.org>
From: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 12/06/2002 16:13:57
>> > I am sure it is, so, I guess my question is,
>> > if we add an option to a utility that is conformant,
>> > does that break conformance? If it doesn't, then I will
>> > play with adding -v and get the PR closed.
>>
>> 'Conforms' means that options which are in standard are implemented
>> in our utility, and that they work according to standard. You can
>> add additional flags and stay conformant.
>>
>> cp -v would be handy occassionally.
>
>Please enlighten me...
>
>Wouldn't a script expecting a standard-conforming cp expect that
>``cp -v foo'' copies the file ``-v'' to the file ``foo'' ?

i think a script expecting a standards conforming cp would expect the
invocation of cp -v foo to perform exactly as ours (which does not
support -v) currently does.  more or less.  modulo whatever form of
the error message takes.

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|
werdna@squooshy.com       * "information is power -- share the wealth."