Subject: Re: tar --exclude
To: None <hiramatu@boreas.dti.ne.jp>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 12/05/2002 15:25:30
[ On Friday, December 6, 2002 at 00:51:16 (+0900), hiramatu@boreas.dti.ne.jp wrote: ]
> Subject: tar --exclude
>
> From man page of GNU tar,
>
>  --exclude pattern       Exclude files matching the pattern (don't extract
>                          them, don't add them, don't list them).
>
> I think this option is useful, and here is my attempt to add --exclude
> to our tar.

I suppose such an option might be useful for compatability purposes for
the 'tar' interface, but in general I think should be dealt with by
converting the usage, wherever possible, to use the '-s replstr' feature:

             File or archive member names that substitute to the empty string
             are not selected and will be skipped.

Doing so ultimately makes it easier to migrate to the core 'pax' interface.

--
								Greg A. Woods