Subject: Re: BSD .mk files and multiple programs
To: Harlan Stenn <Harlan.Stenn@pfcs.com>
From: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@crufty.net>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 11/24/2002 22:31:05
On Sun, 24 Nov 2002 21:07:48 -0500, Harlan Stenn writes:
>Got a pointer (url?) to ODE?

Try google - ODE has been dead for ages - but I added a bunch of the
useful make features to our make a few years ago.  :@ rocks!
You need a strong stomach to read the ODE .mk files.

>I expect the initial pass will convert a Makefile.am to a Makefile;
>eventually I'd prefer to either *completely* automate this conversion and/or
>find a way to have a .mk ruleset that would "include" the Makefile.am and
>crack it automatically (I know this would be slower at runtime).

Why not have a rule that turns a .am into a .aminc and do the
"cracking" in that.  Then just include the .aminc's ?
Handwaving mind you - only thought about it for 5s.

>For the project I have in mind, cleaning/reorganizing the tree is a
>non-starter.

How big is the project?  Back in the days when SSLeay didn't support
building shared libs I had a perl script which generated a bunch of
Makefile.inc's from the SSLeay makefiles so that I could use bmake and
*.mk to build shared libs on various platforms - with minimal pain.
Apart from anything else it allowed me to NFS export my heavily hacked
SSLeay tree to a bunch of build servers and build all from the one
tree.

--sjg