Subject: Re: New idea on ELF prebinding
To: Luke Mewburn <lukem@netbsd.org>
From: Joel Wilsson <joelw@unix.se>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 11/22/2002 22:29:22
On Fri, Nov 22, 2002 at 05:48:43PM +1100, Luke Mewburn wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 22, 2002 at 03:18:28PM +0900, Bang Jun-Young wrote:
>   | - Actual prebinding and prerelocation is done by ld.elf_so(1). After
>   |   ld.elf_so(1) loads a binary for the first time, it creates a disk
>   |   file in /usr/libexec/reloc (say it "cache") and writes all of the
>
> /var/db/reloc (persistent) or /var/run/reloc (lost at reboot) are
> better locations...

I know this lies in the (hopefully not very distant) future, but my first
thought is that this information would be ideal to store in an extended
attribute in UFS2. That way it would work on a per file basis, it would
fit into the existing framework quite nicely without hacks (imo) like an
"elfreld" and it wouldn't have any security issues like /var/db/reloc.

Just a thought, I don't claim to know this stuff. Would it make sense to
do it that way? If not, why?

//joelw