Subject: Re: New idea on ELF prebinding
To: Bang Jun-Young <junyoung@netbsd.org>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 11/22/2002 09:27:40
On Fri, Nov 22, 2002 at 05:17:00PM +0900, Bang Jun-Young wrote:

> BTW, what advantages can I get from separate tool and embedded data into
> binary, compared to what I'm proposing?

Only one file, first time startup is as fast as later ones, startup time
is (probably marginaly) faster (a bit more work inside the binary, but one
namei less). And it's completely optional, even on a per-binary basis
(typical scenario could be: all the base system is prelinked, plus binaries
where it helps a lot [mozilla] are prelinked).

Martin