Subject: Re: New idea on ELF prebinding
To: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
From: Bang Jun-Young <junyoung@netbsd.org>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 11/22/2002 16:52:08
On Fri, Nov 22, 2002 at 08:01:45AM +0100, Martin Husemann wrote:
> I myself don't like the extra file involved and I don't understand why it is
> needed. What's wrong with storing the prelinked code in the binary itself
> and using a separate (optional) tool to create them after linking?

It has some drawbacks:

- Difficult to implement. See sources for prelink in Red Hat.

- It's quite annoying that you should run prebind every time you have
  created a binary.

- It is often waste of space and time to distribute binary with prerelocation
  data included, since such data won't be useful for different shared
  objects on other person's machine.

Jun-Young

--
Bang Jun-Young <junyoung@netbsd.org>