Subject: Re: RFC: progressbars for fsck_ffs
To: <>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 11/18/2002 09:18:37
> Haven't seen a fsck for a while, have you?

No! it doesn't take THAT long on this system, and I haven't
completely f%#$ed a kernel change for a while.
(or at least not one that actually got / mounted rw)

> from /etc/rc.d/fsck:
>
>                 echo "Starting file system checks:"
>                 fsck -p

But that is always output.  Most times the filesystems are
clean so it goes straight through, however if it does decide
to do some work a single line for each fs would be useful.

I did have a moderately sized FAT32 filessytem being mounted,
since it has no 'filesystem cleanly unmounted' flag is was
fscked on every boot - the system didn't say which fs it
was actually checking.

I nearly sat and wrote a fast-fsck for FAT32, I'm sure
it is possible to do it with almost no backwards disk seeks.
(You need enough physical memory to buffer the FAT, probably
not a problem.)

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk