Subject: Re: /etc/mailer.conf vs. postfix vs. sendmail vs. ??? (was: CVS commit: basesrc/etc)
To: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
From: Charlie Allom <charlie@rubberduck.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 10/21/2002 14:45:30
On Sun, Oct 20, 2002 at 02:41:54PM -0400, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> [[ this should probably be on netbsd-users not tech-userlevel, and I've
> replied to a separate branch of the thread there.... ]]
>
> [ On Sunday, October 20, 2002 at 16:36:36 (+1000), Charlie Allom wrote: ]
> > Subject: Re: /etc/mailer.conf vs. postfix vs. sendmail vs. ??? (was: CVS commit: basesrc/etc)
> >
> > OK - I agree with it all - but not everyone uses NetBSD for system
> > administration. Each day NetBSD gets closer to being a 'user-friendly'
> > desktop OS, that we'd like our mothers to use - why cut them out?
>
> I think you miss the point.

I don't - I think we just have differing expectations of the userbase
for NetBSD.

See Kevin P. Neal's post at Message-ID: <20021020164944.GA23861@neutralgood.org>
for my same argument, from another mouth.

again: Your views on an operating system being _HARD_ to configure for
day-to-day operations are not taking what you have said previously
into account, IMHO. If you are working on your system for it to be a
serious server, you are going to replace sendmail anyway!

Here's to a smaller mailer!

Regards,
  C.
--