Subject: Re: CVS commit: basesrc/bin/ksh
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 10/17/2002 17:05:54
[ On Thursday, October 17, 2002 at 13:58:03 (-0700), Simon J. Gerraty wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: CVS commit: basesrc/bin/ksh
>
> The sad fact is that people stick with what they know - the old hammer
> vs nail issue springs to mind.  People who use csh as their login shell
> and have not been taught otherwise are often found using csh for things
> god never intended.
>
> Further, when people get their nice new shinny unix box for christmas and
> fire it up and see that all the system accounts that have shells use csh
> guess which shell the novice will pick?  and so the problem grows.

Which is also almost, or at least in part, the same as my point about
why pax (as 'tar' or whatever) should never ever by default produce
output claiming to be a GNU Tar archive or indeed be in any way
different than what would be produced by any strictly standards
compliant tool of any name.  :-)

--
								Greg A. Woods