Subject: Re: FYI: upgrading GNU tar
To: Christos Zoulas <christos@zoulas.com>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 10/11/2002 17:17:15
[ On Friday, October 11, 2002 at 16:09:57 (-0400), Christos Zoulas wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: FYI: upgrading GNU tar
>
> On Oct 11,  3:49pm, woods@weird.com (Greg A. Woods) wrote:
> -- Subject: Re: FYI: upgrading GNU tar
>

> This is a NOOP right now since MAXBLK == MAXBLK_POSIX on NetBSD;
> will not change.

Ah, OK.  MAXBLK was increased in OpenBSD:

   Revision 1.8, Sun Apr 6 06:11:14 1997 UTC (5 years, 6 months ago)
   by millert
   Branch: MAIN
   CVS Tags: OPENBSD_2_1_BASE, OPENBSD_2_1
   Changes since 1.7: +4 -3 lines

 Allow creation of archives with block sizes up to 64512 bytes
 but complain about non-portability if > 32256 bytes.
 Brought up by George Robbins <grr@shandakor.tharsis.com>

I didn't bother offering that change to you though  :-)

BTW, I finally read far enough down on the SunOS 'tar' manual page to
find this:

  ENVIRONMENT
     SYSV3
          This variable is used to override the default  behavior
          of  tar,  provide  compatibility  with INTERACTIVE UNIX
          Systems and SCO UNIX installation scripts,  and  should
          not be used in new scripts.  (It is intended for compa-
          tibility  purposes  only.)   When  set,  the  following
          options behave differently:

          -F filename
               Uses filename to obtain a  list  of  command  line
               switches and files on which to operate.

          -e   Prevents files from being  split  across  volumes.
               If  there  is insufficient room on one volume, tar
               prompts for a new volume.  If the  file  will  not
               fix on the new volume, tar exits with an error.

I don't imagine NetBSD needs that much Solaris compatability, but it
does explain how they deal with the '-F' conflict.

--
								Greg A. Woods