Subject: Re: FYI: upgrading GNU tar
To: NetBSD Userlevel Technical Discussion List <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 10/11/2002 14:00:52
On Fri, 11 Oct 2002, Greg A. Woods wrote:

# However I really do have to wonder if rmt is really supported in a
# modern NetBSD release, or is just a legacy feature these days.  I
# haven't used rmt myself in a very very long time.
#
# I'm certainly willing to help add rmt support to pax if there's really a
# mandate to continue supporting it in NetBSD.

rmt?  I'd say it'd be a shame to get rid of it.  I happen to use rdump
quite a bit (or at least I will be as soon as I can get some media
for my tape drive(s)).  There needs to be SOME way to allow dumping
across a network.  rmt just happens, conveniently, to handle record-
blocking.  (Actually, I believe it was designed that way).

Next question?

				--*greywolf;
--
NetBSD:  the OS WORM -  Write Once, Run Many.