Subject: Re: FYI: upgrading GNU tar
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org, tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 10/11/2002 14:45:07
--AGBBLMjITsWHeOTZ

[No need to Cc me on responses to mailing lists to which I subscribe.
I'll let you know if I want a private copy. Thanks.]

On Fri, Oct 11, 2002 at 02:06:49PM -0400, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> Why does it have to the in the main distribution?  Don't you have time
> to install third-party software before you really need to do backups?

Because networked backups are a basic functionality I shouldn't have
to install third-party software to perform?

> 	rdump?  :-)
>=20
> It does support partial backups selected by filenames or directory names
> -- you just need multiple runs if the files/directories you backup are
> not all on the same filesystem.

But supposing I don't want my backups in dump format, but in USTAR?
pax(1) lets me do that... but not remotely. GNU tar lets me do it,
remotely too.

If you're going to remove basic functionality that exists, right
now, in the distributed OS, you either need to justify it really
well (which I certainly haven't seen, but I didn't subscribe to
tech-userlevel until just now, so maybe I missed a discussion in
the appropriate place?), or you need to provide the functionality
in the replacement.

This isn't, really, a discussion for current-users, though. I am, as
I paranthetically suggested, now subscribed to tech-userlevel.
Presuming I haven't missed a good explanation for this (I'm checking
mail-index now), could we continue this there?

--=20
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net

--AGBBLMjITsWHeOTZ