Subject: Re: dot-files: CVS_RSH and more
To: Joerg Klemenz <joerg@gmx.net>
From: Matthias Buelow <mkb@informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 10/10/2002 22:31:17
Joerg Klemenz writes:

> When we are talking about 'comfort' features, e.g. pre-setting the
> environment we probably should target the new or unexperienced user.
> Someone who uses CVS surly can it set up himself IMHO

IMHO setting environment variables for "comfort" is a major PITA...
when things break after upgrading, just because someone decided to set
certain things per default that were unset before.  If things are unclear,
better improve the documentation.
It's as bad as dumping a whole zoo of preconfigured dot-files in the user's
home after setting up a user, as some systems (like Suse Lignux) do.
More confusing to the new user than it helps, imho.

--
  Matthias Buelow, mkb(at)informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de