Subject: Re: Default 'set -o emacs' (Was: CVS commit: basesrc/bin/ksh)
To: Matthias Buelow <mkb@informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de>
From: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 10/10/2002 18:24:33
On Thu, 3 Oct 2002, Matthias Buelow wrote:

> David Brownlee writes:
>
> > 	So... should we default to 'set -o emacs' in the default .profile
> > 	files for sh/ksh. This would be an obvious convenience win for
> > 	single user mode.
>
> the only advantage with keeping the shell's default at "no editing" is
> that the terminal stays line-buffered, which could be of advantage
> over really slow lines when you use something like telnet (editing
> with the terminal discipline editing characters then might happen on
> the local terminal).  This doesn't work with ssh anyways, since (at
> least openssh) seems to be broken in that regard.  I think the
> advantages for newbies ("can't edit my command line in NetBSD like on
> Linux!") outweighs any special case benefits easily.

	This should now be fixed in -current. Looks like that was the
	intention anyway but a broken reference to .shrc stopped it
	working.

	Now the next question is whether csh should have similar
	command line editing (I'll bow out at this point :)

--
		David/absolute          -- www.netbsd.org: No hype required --