Subject: Re: CryptoGraphic Disk.
To: Quentin Garnier <netbsd-current-users@quatriemek.com>
From: Lubomir Sedlacik <salo@Xtrmntr.org>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 10/07/2002 15:13:59
--hHWLQfXTYDoKhP50

[ moving this thread to tech-userlevel, please remove current-users in
the next post ]

On Mon, Oct 07, 2002 at 03:05:34PM +0200, Quentin Garnier wrote:
> Le Mon, 7 Oct 2002 14:59:13 +0200 Lubomir Sedlacik a =E9crit :
> > On Fri, Oct 04, 2002 at 03:09:22PM -0400, Roland Dowdeswell wrote:
> > >=20
> > > The cgd is basically a pseudo-disk which encrypts blocks on their
> > > way to the disk that it is attached to.  Currently it supports 3
> > > crypto algorithms:  aes-cbc, blowfish-cbc and 3des-cbc.  The IV is
> > > chosen by the ``IV generation method'', the only one that is
> > > implemented is ``encblkno'', i.e. encrypted block number.
> > >=20
> > > For more information about how to use and configure cgds please
> > > refer to the provided documentation, cgd(4) and cgdconfig(8).
> >=20
> > is there any reason why is the control utility inconsistently named
> > cgdconfig(8) and not cgdctl(8) to follow the way NetBSD does it?
> > cgdconfig(8) sounds more like FreeBSD tool for me.
>=20
> Well, there are already ccdconfig(8) and vnconfig(8). It looks pretty
> consistent to me.

well, i'd say they should be renamed too before it will end in chaotic
mess.  it is really confusing for newcomers when 1/3 of tools are called
*config and other 2/3 are called *ctl.  i can understand why tools like
ifconfig use their names for historical reasons but i don't see any
reason why new tools should be called *config when most native NetBSD
utilities uses *ctl suffix.

is there any rule how to name new tools?  what about writing one?

regards,

--=20
-- Lubomir Sedlacik <salo@Xtrmntr.org>   ASCII Ribbon campaign against  /"\=
 --