Subject: Re: Musings on ld.elf_so and symbol lookup caching
To: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
From: Charles M. Hannum <abuse@spamalicious.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 10/04/2002 18:03:42
> I implemented code to set up a global symbol table for the main
> program body yesterday.  I didn't do 'lazy' fill so the cost
> of populating it is too large to benefit small programs.
> However for large programs there is a big gain.
> In any case the current diff is below:

I feel *strongly* that there is a lot of completely unnecessary (and
is some cases, outright useless) churn in this diff.  Please stick to
functional changes.

At any rate, I do not see the special case handling for `main program'
symbols to be particularly beneficial.  It makes the simple case
slower, and it does not help enough in some of the complex cases
(e.g. rep or xmms, where most libraries are loaded through dlopen(3)).