Subject: Re: CVS commit: basesrc/bin/ksh
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 10/04/2002 16:08:57
> Unless performance is critical, I would rather take the "pretty"
> version, but you are right, of course.
>
> Here is what I just did:
>
> $ time echo $0|grep -q ksh
>     0.03s real     0.00s user     0.00s system
> $ time case $0 in *ksh) echo ksh ;; esac
> ksh
>     0.01s real     0.01s user 42949672.95s system
>
> (System: 100MHz Intel Pentium)

Those times are probably meaningless, there is an outstanding
kernel bug that causes the execution time of processes to
be underestimated (excludes time from last schedule to
process exit, and entire time if no clock ticks interrupt
the process).

The '-1' is a 'bug' in microtime, possibly due to dodgy hardware.

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk