Subject: Re: CVS commit: basesrc/bin/ksh
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Joerg Klemenz <joerg@gmx.net>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 10/04/2002 16:54:17
Simon J. Gerraty wrote:
>>If you login w/ ksh and run "csh" it executes /etc/csh.cshrc and
>>~/.cshrc. That makes it very easy for the user: No need for
>>workarounds and tons of "if [..", just put everything in .cshrc
>
> >Makes a lot of sense to me
>
> Sorry, but it is a bad idea.  People who put "everything in .cshrc"
> cause nightmares for people like me trying to build systems that need
> to control the environment.  Eg. provide a system that is supposed to
> craft a certain environment - PATH etc so that correct versions of
> tools, libs etc are used and then let the user run $SHELL - and bang,
> .cshrc screws all the setup.

I must have been confused. I probably wanted to say "..everything in
cshrc that is not inherited/exported. It certainly makes no sense to
set exported variables in cshrc, as they are inherited anyway (from
login)"
So that cshrc sets up the shell aliases et al for an interactive
subshell. Thats what I wanted to say (I think). Non-interactive use is
a different story of course, but who uses csh for that ;)

	jörg  <joerg@gmx.net>