Subject: Re: CVS commit: basesrc/bin/ksh
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Joerg Klemenz <joerg@gmx.net>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 10/04/2002 00:30:28
Greg A. Woods wrote:
> [ On Wednesday, October 2, 2002 at 23:50:15 (+0000), Joerg Klemenz wrote: ]
> > Subject: Re: CVS commit: basesrc/bin/ksh
> >
> > My suggestion was to load kshenv for all shells, (interactive and
> > nin-interactive), kprofile for login and kshrc for interactive shells
> > (in that order).
>
> Then you're changing your story half way through.  In the part of your
> own post that you omitted from above you first said:

OK I was confused then, as they say, better to learn late that never.
I'll stick with version 2 of the story, though (above). You won't
overlook anything, eh?

>   [ On Tuesday, October 1, 2002 at 17:02:34 (+0000), Joerg Klemenz wrote: ]
>   > Subject: Re: CVS commit: basesrc/bin/ksh
>   >
>   > Just make sure not to duplicate csh's design flaws and *not* load
>   > kshrc for non-interactive shells (see other mail).

> Besides there is no such thing as any of "kshenv" "kshprofile" or
> "kshrc".

Of course not! I just invented it (actually it's from zsh's man page)

> > That would remove the need for any if's and case's in the login
> > scripts, thereby making them easier to use and understand and more
> > powerfull at the same time.
>
> No, it wouldn't really, and it would just create an incompatible ugly
> mess of a hack.

Incompatible sure, but not ugly. Three separate config files would be
much cleaner, IMHO.

> If you use the trick Korn originally suggested [..] However be warned
> that if you do this you'll still hopefully want to factor common
> things together into yet a third script.

The Third Script. Film at 11

> > The login.conf file that you suggested is nice but very limited
>
> It's not limited in any of the ways you claimed you wanted support
> for -- indeed it's far more flexible than what is really needed to do
> what you said you wanted to do.

Among other things, I need to setup the PRINTER programmatically (sp?)
with an absurdly large script for rexec customers. Currently it works
only right with zsh cause of it's "always on" rc file, or with a
"wrapper" script.

I have never really looked into login.conf, in fact I just created one
for the first time to setup things. If one could run scripts to setup
the environment before the shell gets loaded.. would that be cool! (I
realize that r* is evil, but the ssh replacement is expensive [for
Windows])

I have to quit now, I just confused my cellphone with the cordless
mouse..

	jörg <joerg@gmx.net>