Subject: Re: CVS commit: basesrc/bin/ksh
To: NetBSD Userlevel Technical Discussion List <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Joerg Klemenz <joerg@gmx.net>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 10/04/2002 00:04:51
Matthias Buelow wrote:

> I don't really think that adding a new set of (incompatible) startup
> files just as some cosmetic makeup makes sense... the same can be
> achieved with rather little programming in the shell's own command
> language.  [..] It may be convenient for beginners but then again,
> I've never seen beginners worry about their shell prompt, they
> usually take what the system predefines.

Maybe you're right. Actually, I have PS1="SHELL: 'help' or 'exit' ?  "
and PS2="Quotes must be closed [..]". No one ever wanted to change it.

My basic idea was to make it easier. Now while typing this mail I just
had the brilliant idea of writing a compiler that takes a simple text
files as input and puts it into .shrc/whatever "user section".

I already have something like this for procmailrc (*the* most awfull
rc file) that uses m4 and works quite well (for my personal use). It
should not be to difficult to write a compiler that takes a text file
and inserts sh/csh/ksh/bash/zsh code into all relevant files. The user
would type "setup shell" and the text file would pop up and the
compiler would put it in any rc files.. How can error checking be
done? maybe its just the lazy national holiday thats speaking out of
me...

	jörg <joerg@gmx.net>