Subject: Re: CVS commit: basesrc/bin/ksh
To: Joerg Klemenz <joerg@gmx.net>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 10/02/2002 20:57:37
[ On Wednesday, October 2, 2002 at 23:38:44 (+0000), Joerg Klemenz wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: CVS commit: basesrc/bin/ksh
>
> Matthias Buelow wrote:
> > That's why you don't export ENV.
>
> That makes no sense. ENV is completly useless if it's not exported. If
> you keep ENV local, subshells will have no aliases or keybindings. A
> non-exported ENV has no other effect than ". shrc" in .profile.

Well, if you use sub-shells....   :-)

Personally I've always thought that job control and sub-shells are more
or less archaic features when you have a window system (and _everyone_
has a window system, or at least a simulation of one: window(1) :-).

However iff you use the trick Korn suggested, and which I showed, then
you can safely export $ENV and then any interactive subshell you start
will indeed benefit from your personal customizations, while
non-interactive shells won't lead you into relying on features other
people's non-interactive shells don't have.

--
								Greg A. Woods