Subject: Re: CVS commit: basesrc/bin/ksh
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Joerg Klemenz <joerg@gmx.net>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 10/02/2002 23:50:15
Greg A. Woods wrote:
> Your proposal doesn't fix the problem then, or indeed really help in
> any useful way.  $ENV already does what you want.

My suggestion was to load kshenv for all shells, (interactive and
nin-interactive), kprofile for login and kshrc for interactive shells
(in that order).

That would remove the need for any if's and case's in the login
scripts, thereby making them easier to use and understand and more
powerfull at the same time.

With the current scheme, you need a "case shell" in /etc/profile, and
.profile for each sh, ksh and bash.
In .shrc (the ENV script) you need to check if you're interactive or
non-interactive and then again look for sh or ksh (does bash read ENV
too? I have no idea) and it still doesn't work if you log in with csh
and run ksh without setting ENV in your .cshrc.

The login.conf file that you suggested is nice but very limited and I
have no idea how portable that is (man page says it appeared in 1.5?)

	jörg